- CASAA is the Consumer Advocates for Smokefree Alternatives Association
- CASAA formed in 2009 by members of an online forum as an advocacy group to raise awareness and protect our right to access reduced harm alternatives.
- CASAA has over 7,400 registered members*
- CASAA was created as an answer to the anti-Tobacco Harm Reduction groups' efforts to ban THR products and in the belief that there is strength in our numbers.
- CASAA is not a trade organization.
- The original CASAA 13-member board was elected by members of the electronic cigarette and smokeless tobacco community.
- The current board of directors consists of board-appointed members, three of whom were originally elected in 2009.
- CASAA board of director members are all volunteers and receive no financial compensation.
- CASAA's bylaws strictly limit the number of retailers allowed to 1/3 or less to prevent industry interests having a majority vote.
- CASAA is a registered non-profit organization in Alabama.
- CASAA has IRS non-profit 501(c)(4) status.
- Although donations to CASAA are accepted from many sources, CASAA has no financial or policy agreements with the electronic cigarette, tobacco or pharmaceutical industries.
- CASAA Regional Representatives volunteer to be "watchdogs" for their area and report back to the Board any activity they discover. There are currently 366 Representatives from 45 states and the District of Columbia and 5 countries with Representatives.
- CASAA maintains a web site at CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association for the purpose of providing easy access for members and the general public to news articles, Call to Action alerts, scientific research studies, petitions, legal actions, pending legislation and educational materials regarding electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
- CASAA maintains a discussion forum at http://casaaforum.org and http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/casaa
- CASAA coordinates activism efforts with other advocacy and harm reduction organizations such as Smokefree Pennsylvania, The American Association of Public Health Physicians, TobaccoHarmReduction.org, American Council on Science and Health and Switch and Quit Owensboro.
- CASAA works to increase it's influence by organizing activist efforts through our members, writing pro-reduced harm articles and issuing statements to the media regarding positive and negative legislation.
- CASAA raises funds for promoting these activities and to assist in research efforts.
- CASAA develops and supplies print materials such as informative business cards for smokeless tobacco/e-cig users to hand out, decals, bumper stickers, t-shirts and promotional materials for vendors and businesses.
- CASAA's web site is a neutral ground for vendors to send customers to learn more about electronic cigarettes and smokeless alternatives.
- CASAA has additional presence on other e-cig forums, Facebook, Twitter, Newsvine, Digg, Linked In, Associated Content, Google+ and YouTube. There is also an active CASAA member discussion group on Facebook called We Are CASAA.
*as of October 2013